According to an article published by WGME 13, fire crews responded to their own station to battle a fire that had broken out on Tuesday night.

The news station is reporting that the fire station, located at 370 Station Road in Stacyville, Maine, caught fire after what investigators believe were faulty lithium ion batteries.

Maine Fire Marshall's Office
Maine Fire Marshall's Office

The fire, which was reported at 8:50 p.m. Tuesday, May 21, drew a large response from Stacyville and surrounding mutual aid departments. The news channel reported that once on the scene, fire crews were able to quickly contain and extinguish the blaze.

According to a release from the state fire marshall's office, the fire began on an interior wall of the fire station where they say "multiple" lithium ion batteries were being charged. The fire, at this time, is being considered accidental.

Following the fire, at least one firefighter was taken to the hospital for a leg injury not related to the fire. That crew member has since been released from the hospital.

According to a press release from the Maine Department of Public Safety,

"Once an investigation was completed, it was determined that the fire originated at an interior wall of the fire station where multiple lithium-ion batters were charging on a shelf.  The fire is being classified as accidental. Staceyville fire department was assisted by Sherman, Patten, Mt. Chase, Island Falls, Oakfield and East Millinocket Fire Departments."

2024 Concerts in Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts

Check out this list of the biggest shows coming to New England in 2024. As more concerts are announced, we'll add them to this list.

Mainers Share 20 Things That Make Maine the Best State in the US

Gallery Credit: Sean McKenna

More From 94.3 WCYY