Rave N’ Rage 1/25/18 – All The Coolest Shows Happening This Weekend
The weekend is almost here! We're getting pretty impatient here at CYY, honestly - with two days of relative sunshine in the mid 40s, this weekend might just be the sigh of relief we need right now. Fortunately for music fans, though, this weekend gets cranking early! Check out all of the cool shows happening all over ME this weekend:
Stone Mountain Arts Center (Brownfield)
5:00pm Doors, 8:00pm Show
- That's right, THE Mavis Staples of the Staples Singers is going to be in Maine this weekend! The Staples Singers have had many a hit like "I'll Take You There," as well as sung on some of music's most legendary soul recordings. Tickets are a little pricy, but that's what you get when you're seeing a living legend.
People Like You w/ Snughouse
Portland House of Music (Portland)
8:00pm Doors, 9:00pm Music
$8 Advance, $10 Day of Show
- If you're into folk music, then look no farther than this show. People Like You are a great "Freak Folk" band from just across the New Hampshire Border, and Snughouse is hands down one of Portland's coolest new bands. This one's for fans of big harmonies and evocative songwriting.
Tim Mercer CD Release Show w/ Ben Kilcollins
Ri Ra (Portland)
- Two of Portland's best alt-rockers are sharing the state at Ri Ra to celebrate the release of Tim Mercer's new album "Aspartame." From what we've heard here at CYY, the new material sounds great - this show is definitely a no-brainer.
Cape Cannons w/ Long Time, Savor
9:00pm Doors, 10:00pm Show
- Portland indie rock band Cape Cannons mix just the right amount of sweet and somber, making for big rock tunes that always feel down to earth. Joined by Long Time and Savor, this evening of rock is bound to be explosive.
John Smedley Jazz Night
She Doesn’t Like Guthrie’s (Lewiston)
- For a more relaxed evening of music, check out Guthrie's on Friday for a great celebration of Jazz both old and new. Jazz musicians from the L/A area are coming together to play the music of the greats, like Miles Davis (below), as well as original compositions.
Port City Music Hall (Portland)
8:00pm Doors, 9:00pm Show
$15 Advance, $18 Day of Show
- Anyone looking to get their jam band fix this weekend is going to be at this one. Max Creek have been bringing the good vibes since 1971, and show no signs of slowing down.
The Scolded Dogs
The Liberal Cup (Hallowell)
- This Hallowell mainstay is a great place to catch live music, and Scolded Dogs know it. They actually recorded a live album there last year, and featured whoever wanted to get up on stage on the record. A bold move, but one that appears to have paid off.
There's our weekly roundup of cool shows! Did we miss something you're planning on going too? Post a link in the comments to help spread the word!