Top Drive-In Restaurants In Maine
The weather is warming up in Maine and that means the drive-in restaurants are opening for the season. I remember growing up in Lewiston and our trips to Val's Drive-In on Sabattus Street. The server comes up right to your car and that tray of food being hooked on the car window, what a country!
Travel and Leisure Magazine has an article that features the Top Drive-In Restaurants in Maine. Here are their top five.
1. Fat Boy in Brunswick: They have been around since 1955 and are cash only. Great burgers, lobster rolls, fried clams and a Canadian BLT. You also got to try their frappes!
2. Crosby's Drive-In & Dairy Bar in Bucksport. They have been around for more than 75 years and they have all of Maine's awesome seafood favorites and wicked thick milkshakes.
3. Cameron's Lobster House in Brunswick. They feature a great lobster roll and stew along with deep-fried baskets: oysters, clams, shrimp, scallops.
4. Val's Drive-In of Lewiston. It opened in 1959 as a root beer stand, the menu now features the heart attack burger (double cheese, double bacon), and you can ask for a “triple bypass,” which is three of everything with grilled cheese sandwiches for buns. If you have room, get a frappe.
5. Fast Eddie's Drive-In of Winthrop. The food features a Maine classic the red snap hot dogs, clam strip baskets and the ice cream is churned in-house. They also feature a playground for the kids and classic car owners drop in on Wednesday nights in the summer to show off their rides.