Why Are Mainers Suspicious of the Census? Just Do It
Filing out the census helps determine how billions of dollars in federal funding is spent! It's super important!
Census results also determine how many seats in Congress each state gets. That's another huge reason this is so important and why the U.S. Census Bureau is trying to get the word out and push self-response rates.
Completing the 2020 Census is safe, easy, and important.
You might be surprised to learn that Sagadahoc County leads Maine with a response rate of 63.3%. Piscataquis County comes in last with only a 36.8% response.
The census is so important, they are launching PUSH WEEK July 27-August 2. The primary goal of PUSH Week is to increase 2020 Census self-response rates through local activities, parades, social messaging campaigns, and Census Mobile Questionnaire Assistance events to ensure that everyone gets counted.
Yes, if you need help with the questionnaire, there will be an opportunity to meet with an official to answer any questions you have. Here is the schedule.
- 7/26/20 2pm to 7pm John's Ice Cream 510 Belfast-Augusta Rd., Liberty
- 7/27/20 10am to 1pm Pittsfield Public Library 110 Library St., Pittsfield
- 7/27/20 10am to 2pm Orrington Public Library 15 School St., Orrington
- 7/27/20 11am to 5pm Belfast Free Library 106 High St., Belfast
- 7/27/20 11am to 3pm Brewer Public Library 100 S Main St., Brewer
- 7/29/20 10am to 1pm Lawrence Public Library 33 Lawrence Ave., Fairfield
- 7/29/20 11am to 2pm Cole Memorial Library 789 Hammett Rd., West Enfield
- 7/31/20 11am to 4pm Town of Camden 116 Washington St., Camden
- 8/1/20 7:30am to 4pm The American Legion Jerry W. Dobbins Post 157 5 Sandy Point Rd., Stockton Springs
- 8/1/20 8:30am to 12:30pm Town of Camden 116 Washington St., Camden
- 8/2/20 7:30am to 4pm The American Legion Jerry W. Dobbins Post 157 5 Sandy Point Rd., Stockton Springs
It's not hard. In fact, it's silly easy!
There are only nine questions on the census. They ask very basic demographic questions: who lives in the household; how they are related; their age, sex, and race; whether they own or rent their house; and their phone number...that's it.
If you don't send in your Census, they will work hard to get that information, and eventually will visit your home - but they will do everything they can to avoid that.