Rave N’ Rage 2/8/2018 – The Coolest Shows Happening This Weekend
After getting dumped on in yesterday's storm, it's finally time to put the shovels down and start thinking about the weekend. If you're reading this, then you're probably planning on seeing some live music - good choice! Here's my latest batch of weekly recommendations for the best shows happening all over Maine:
Shanna Underwood and Wanderlost
She Doesn’t Like Guthrie’s (Lewiston)
- AmericanaUK.com calls Shanna Underwood's voice "rich, deep and wonderfully appealing." I couldn't agree more - this folksy act strikes a nice balance of both old and new, and is guaranteed to bring that to the stage. Guthrie's is a great venue, as well, so if you haven't been yet, that's two good reasons.
Forget, Forget w/ Electric Heart
Bayside Bowl (Portland)
- Hot off a Music Video Portland award win for their song/video 'City' (below), Forget, Forget is proving that a two-piece pop band can pack just as much punch as their larger counterparts. They'll be joined by Electric Heart, who mix pop and soul elements into a sultry, street-smart sound. Plus, bowling! Win win.
Bangor Arts Exchange Ballroom (Bangor)
6:30pm Doors, 7:00pm Show
$10 Advance, $12 Day of Show
- This one is a must for all lovers of both Broadway and big, production-heavy rock performances. This show promises to bring everything from Elton John to Green Day to the stage, done up in classic show-tune swagger.
Local Laughs Presents: Cupid Comedy
8:00pm Doors, 8:30pm Show
- The brainchild of CYY's resident funnyman Brett Groh, Local Laughs has been a staple of the Portland comedy scene for years. Since the opening of Aura, Local Laughs has been back, loudly and proudly. Don't miss this Valentine's Day themed performance featuring some of the best comedians from Portland and beyond! WARNING: This video contains explicit content.
Civil Disturbance w/ 3 Parts Dead, Not30, and RE:ViSION
Live at 212 (Westbrook)
8:00pm Doors, 8:30pm Show
- This one's for my rockers. Civil Disturbance have a big, bold hard rock sound that's accessible for both casual listeners and headbangers alike, and the addition of 3 Parts Dead, Not30 and Re:Vision makes for a dynamic bill. If it's been awhile since you've gotten the opportunity to mosh, I would mark this one on your calendars!
Versus DJ Night: Rihanna vs Beyonce
Port City Music Hall (Portland)
9:00pm Doors / Show
$6 Advance, $8 Day of Show
- You're probably thinking "What's a Rihanna video doing on the WCYY website!?" Well let me tell you - this battle between two of pop's biggest stars has some great local talent on board. Featuring performances from powerhouse duo Sarah Violette and Renee Coolbrith, as well as superb newcomer JanaeSound, this show is set to put some real power in these tunes.
Well, that's what I've got for the weekend!! Do you know about something cool that I missed? Feel free to leave it in the comments to help spread the word!