‘The Ultimate Metallica Show’ – Playlist and Recap – February 6, 2022
Sunday night's show was dedicated to the one and only Jon Zazula.
Without Jonny Z, who knows what heavy metal and rock and roll would look like today? To honor him, I shared a little bit of audio from a Cameo video that Jonny Z sent me and some friends a couple of years ago; in it, he shares an incredible memory about what it was like dreaming about the future of Metallica with Lars Ulrich. In celebration of that history, we opened the night with "Metal Militia," the closing track on Kill 'Em All.
With his wife, Marsha, Jonny Z released Kill 'Em All on Megaforce Records back in 1983, so how could we not kick off the show with that?!
The rest of the night showcased many great moments in the life of Metallica: A Soundgarden cover at a tribute concert for Chris Cornell, a demo from James Hetfield's riff tape for "Damage, Inc.", and an unforgettable performance from back in 2011 at Yankee Stadium in New York City. We also cranked up a cover of "Whiplash" from Motörhead and enjoyed Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan doing his best take on "Nothing Else Matters."
You can see the full playlist from Sunday's show below:
The Ultimate Metallica Show — Hour 1
- "Metal Militia" — Kill 'Em All
- "Through the Never" — Metallica
- "All Your Lies" — Soundgarden cover, Live at "I Am the Highway: A Tribute to Chris Cornell," The Forum, Los Angeles, California, Jan. 16, 2019
- "Fade to Black" — Ride the Lightning
- "Frantic" — Live at Chase Center, San Francisco, California, Dec. 17, 2021
- "Whiplash" — Cover by Motörhead, Metallic Attack: The Ultimate Tribute
- "Damage, Inc." — "Riff Tape" demo into the Master of Puppets track
- "All Nightmare Long" — Death Magnetic
The Ultimate Metallica Show — Hour 2
- "Wasting My Hate" — Load
- "One" — Live at The Big Four, Yankee Stadium, New York, New York, Sept. 14, 2011
- "Here Comes Revenge" — Hardwired...to Self-Destruct
- "Fuel" — Reload
- "Sabbra Cadabra" — Garage Inc.
- "Nothing Else Matters" — Cover by Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan, The Metallica Blacklist Album
- "Dyers Eve" — ...And Justice For All
- "Hit the Lights" — Kill 'Em All
Don't forget: Metallica are set to close out this year's edition of Boston Calling on Memorial Day Weekend at the Harvard Athletic Complex. Foo Fighters headline Friday, May 27, The Strokes cover Saturday, May 28, and 'Tallica wrap up the weekend on Sunday, May 29. Will you be there?